A Moment of Rest

Being a non-drinker is starting to feel pretty normal. That's probably because I spent the entire day running my kids around to various appointments, and haven't had time to be introspective about my past or this decision I've made. That's just fine with me, because too much introspection makes me nervous. It feels good to take a break.

Today's lightness makes me worry a little about becoming complacent. It would be easy for me to tell myself I've gone 11 days without drinking now and was probably never a true problem drinker, so I can just get on with my life and not waste a bunch of energy into reading the pile of sobriety books I ordered. I don't want to do that. I know I need to understand the reasons I wasted 18 years of my life guilt-ridden about a dysfunctional habit I just couldn't break, and work hard to find better ways to deal with life as it comes, because it will continue coming.

But today, it's enough to say I feel at peace, and to remind myself it was brutal getting here. I don't want to have to fight to get to this place again. Thank you, God, for this moment of rest. Please help me remember the horrible journey, and please help me stay right here.


Comments

Popular Posts